Welcome to Petroleum Engineering Department, School of Engineering, Presidency University, Bengaluru.
The Petroleum Engineering Department in Presidency University is dedicated to the teaching and research in both upstream and downstream areas of Petroleum Engineering. The department offers the first degree programme with the modular structure and various flexibilities, including Electives, Industrial Practice components etc. The curriculum provides broad-based foundation to the Undergraduates. Students shall enhance their conceptual knowledge and skills of engineering in exploration, drilling, reservoir, production, surface operations and management courses under the guidance of experienced faculty. The students will have a scope of learning various courses which will be useful in research and thereby can pursue higher education as well as have a probability in joining Research and Development (R & D) sectors of the industry.
ELIGIBILITY CRITERIA for B.Tech
Pre-University / Higher Secondary /10+2 examination Pass with Physics and Mathematics as compulsory subjects along with either Chemistry / Biotechnology / Biology / Technical Vocational subject
Obtained at least 45% marks (40% in case of candidates belonging to Reserved Category) in the above subjects taken together
Appeared for JEE (Main); JEE (Advanced); Karnataka CET; COMED-K; PUEET-2020 or any other State-level Engineering Entrance Examination.
Petroleum Engineering’s graduates of Presidency University, will be able to:
- Assess and estimate the production capabilities and economic value of oil and gas wells, to evaluate the economic viability of potential drilling sites.
- Develop and implement plans for oil and gas field drilling, and for product recovery and treatment.
- Direct and monitor the completion and evaluation of wells, well testing, or well surveys.
- Coordinate and supervise the installation, maintenance, and operation of mining and oil field equipment.
- Analyze and recommend placement of wells and supplementary processes to enhance production.
On successful completion of B.Tech. Petroleum Engineering programme from Presidency University, a student will be able to:
- Apply mathematics, science and engineering fundamentals to petroleum engineering.
- Solvebasic petroleum engineering problems using first principles of mathematics and engineering sciences.
- Design of products and processes for petroleum extraction.
- Investigatepetroleum engineering problems including design of experiments, analysis and interpretation of data and synthesis of information to provide valid conclusions.
- Select appropriate techniques, resources, and modern engineering tools, including prediction and modelling, to complex petroleum engineering activities, with an understanding of the limitations.
- Identify societal, health, safety, legal and cultural issues and the consequent responsibilities relevant to petroleum engineering practice.
- Appraise professional ethics and responsibilities and norms of petroleum engineering practice.
- Relate the impact of petroleum engineering solutions in a societal context and demonstrating knowledge of and need for sustainable development.
- Assesse management and business practices, such as risk and change management, and understanding their limitations in the context of petroleum engineering.
- Demonstrate the ability to work as an individual, and as a member or leader in diverse teams and in multi-disciplinary settings.
- Write effective reports and design documentation, making effective presentations, and giving and receiving clear instructions.
- Justify the need for engaging in independent and life-long learning.
Graduate petroleum engineers enter into careers in state/central government jobs and oil/gas extraction industry. It is an emerging engineering field. The private oil and gas industry also offers excellent opportunities. Engineers are required in the petroleum industry in oil and gas extraction, support activities for mining, management of companies and enterprises, petroleum and coal products manufacturing and engineering services. Some common designations are completions engineer, drilling engineer, production engineer, reservoir engineer.