The School of Media Studies (SOMS) has been established to train and educate young media minds. SOMS is committed for excellence in teaching and training of students in the fields of Journalism, Public Relations and Event Management, digital media, Television and Radio, Film Production and content writing along with research in the relevant fields. The curriculum is revised and regularly updated for quality improvement in consultation with the experts of the media and industry.
Overview of Media Education:
The Indian Media and Entertainment industry is one of the fastest-growing industries in the country. Its various segments Film, Television, Advertising, Print and Digital have witnessed tremendous growth in the last few years. The industry is highly driven by strong consumption in non-metro and small cities, intense emergence of regional media and burgeoning new media businesses and formats. Our Bachelor’s programs in Mass Communication focus on all aspects of Journalism such as:
- Print Journalism (Newspaper & Magazine): The means of delivering news is evolving. Here, at Presidency University, the print stream focuses on sound, solid, hard news reporting for newsprint and magazines.
- Broadcast Journalism (Television & Radio): Through the Broadcast Journalism program, you will master the best techniques of reporting, writing and editing news stories. You will learn television and radio skills, and shoot and record interviews. Practice for News Anchoring.
- Online & Convergence Multimedia Journalism: More media houses are adding online/web to their print and/or broadcast offerings, and updating them regularly. The ‘Convergence’ program of Multimedia combines print and broadcast online.
- Film & TV Production: Students are trained and exposed to industry on a regular basis. You can learn Film and TV / OTT production skills.
Programs Offered by School of Media Studies
1) BA In Journalism and Mass Communication
- The eligibility criteria for the BJMC admission is to score a minimum aggregate 50% score in 10+2 from a recognized board or university.
- PI and GD Round with the Faculties of the department.
2) PhD In Journalism and Mass Communication
- The eligibility criteria for the admission in PhD in Journalism and Mass Communication is through the university entrance examination.
Experienced Faculty & Industry Experts as Mentors:
The quality of faculty is important to any academic institution. The Presidency University has a resource pool of competent and qualified teachers as well as strong bond with industry experts. Industry Experts are there to train faculty and students to look beyond the books and explore the subject with experiential learning.
The industry-university interaction helps to create opportunities for research, consultancy, continuing education programmes, and student internships. The university cultivates an enduring relationship with the Media as it is integral to the teaching learning methodology and curriculum. It conducts regular visits of media houses, PR firms, and production houses.
The University organises various programmes, seminars, conferences, and symposia in collaboration with the industries. Industry leaders, senior editors, journalists, advertising experts, media managers and experts as well as people from diverse field of interests are invited for interaction with students for enrichment of their knowledge and employability.
Career Counselling Assistance
The SOMS faculty assist students in career counselling and provide guidance to prospective students at the time of admission to the course completion.
Placement and Entrepreneurship Guidance
The SOMS helps students achieve lifelong success in their chosen career by reaching out to prospective employers and alumni. Renowned recruiters of media and industries actively and consistently employ good media students. We have a very strong industry network so our students will be placed in leading media houses.
Sports and Extra Curricular Activities
For the overall development of their personality, every student is encouraged to participate in sports and extracurricular activities. Inter-departmental sports, competitions are organised by the University at regular intervals.
Activities @ SOMS
SOMS regularly organise seminars, workshops & special lectures by eminent professionals on topics related to the courses or other current important issues for the benefit of the students.
With the job Markets becoming increasingly competitive, we want to endure that our students are fully equipped with the knowledge and skills required to progress in their chosen field. We are here to support you at every stage of your studies, helping you to plan your next steps and realize your career ambitions.
SOMS conducts seminars and conferences to motivate and help students to equip themselves on the topic such as “How to face interview, Resume writing, personality development etc. Whatever qualification you are contemplating, remember that SOMS of presidency university is committed into continuing professional development and we will always have something more to offer you in terms of further study and developing your career. Few of them are mentioned below:
- Journalist/News reporter
- Fashion & News Photographer
- TV Correspondent, News Anchor
- Producer- Film & TV
- Public Relations Managers
- Content Writers
- Digital Marketing Expert
- Radio jockey (RJ)
- Social Media Executive
- Content Creator/ Developer
- Publicity/Advertising Industry
- Filmmaker- Director
15 Films, 70 participants and finally 3 Winners !
Students of School of Media Studies, Presidency University Bangalore showcased their short films on the theme ’75 years of India’s Independence’. Each film was of three minutes duration. Within 24 hours, Film were produced and screened. Excellent efforts were there by the young talented film makers. One team from Engineering Students, another from Management School and School of Media Studies team won awards. Five times national Award winner Aruna Raje ma’am was there along with esteemed Jury Members to judge the films in the ultra-modern Auditorium of Presidency University Bangalore.
Honourable PVC Prof (Dr.) Muddu Vinay Sir encouraged students and assured all kind of support from the management for the Media & Film Enthusiasts in the University to promote creativity and young talent.
Film Maker Aruna Raje was of the opinion that within a short span of 24 hours, students have done excellent work. She awarded the winners and discussed the ‘points’ about the films screened.
School of Media Studies thanks the Chief Guest, PVC Sir, Jury members and the students from different schools who participated in the event. It was a student driven initiative and students did and excellent job!