PhD (IISc, Bangalore), MTech(IIT, Madras)
Post Doctoral Fellow (Concordia University, Montreal, Canada).
Teaching - 12
National Institute of Technology, Calicut
CMR Institute of Technology, Bangalore
Worked as Principal Engineer, Multimedia Group at Sasken Communication Technologies, Hewlett-Packard R&D Bangalore in various groups (HP Labs, Servers, Networking) as tech lead and R&D Manager for 17 years
Computer Networks, Python Programming, Data Structures and Algorithms, Natural Language Processing, Logic Design
Professor and Associate Dean, CSE, SoE
Image and Video compression, Applications of Switching theory
- Jacob Augustine, Wen Feng, James Jacob, ``Logic Minimization based Approach for Compressing Image Data,” 8th Intl. Conf. On VLSI Design, January 1995, pp: 225 – 228, Bangalore, India
- Jacob Augustine, Wen Feng, Anamitra Makur, James Jacob, ``Switching Theoretic Approach to Image Compression,” Signal Processing (Elsevier Science), vol. 44, pp. 243-246, June 1995.
- Rajesh P. Damodare, Jacob Augustine, James Jacob, ``Lossless and lossy image compression using Boolean function minimization,” Signal Processing and Communication, Conference held at IISc, pp. 133-138, August1995.
- R P Damodare, Jacob Augustine, James Jacob, ``Lossless and lossy image compression using Boolean function minimization,” Sadhana, vol. 21, Part1, pp. 55-64, February 1996.
- Anil Kumar Choudhary, Jacob Augustine, James Jacob, ``Lossless compression of images using logic minimization,” IEEE Intl. Conf. On Image Processing (ICIP), September 1996, pp: 225 – 228, Lausanne, Switzerland.
- Debashish Pramanik, James Jacob, Jacob Augustine, ``Lossless Compression of Images Using Minterm Coding,” Intl. Conf. On Information, Communication and Signal Processing (ICICS), September 1997, pp: 1570 – 1574, Singapore.
- Jacob Augustine, William Lynch, Yuke Wang, and Asim J. Al-Khalili, ``Lossy Compression of Images Using Logic Minimization,” 12th Intl. Conf. On VLSI Design, January 1999, pp: 538 – 543, Goa, India
- Jacob Augustine, Shivarama Rao K., Norman P. Jouppi, and Subu Iyer, ``Region of Interest Editing of MPEG-2 Video Streams in the Compressed Domain,” IEEE Intl. Conf. On Multimedia and Expo, June 2004, Taipei, Taiwan.
- US Patent No. 7,437,007 awarded on 14-Oct-2008. Region-of-Interest Editing of Video Stream in the Compressed Domain.
- Talk on Software Defined Network – SDN, Faculty Development Program organized by IEEE Computational Intelligence Society, Bangalore Chapter at M S Ramaiah Inst. Of Technology (affiliated to VTU), July 2016.
- Tutorial Presented: Jacob Augustine and B. Jagadeesh,"Image and Video Coding Standards for Multimedia," Tutorial in 8th International Conference on Advanced Computing and Communications (ADCOM 2000), Cochin, December 14-16, 2000.